March 5 Updates for OCS Families
MARK YOUR CALENDARS — OCS CALENDAR UPDATED
North Carolina required all school districts to include 5 “Remote Learning Days” included in the 2020–2021 school calendar. Since the majority of our students have learned remotely since the beginning of the school year, we have met this requirement and made adjustments to the two days previously designated as remote.
Please note that the last student day on both calendars is now June 4, 2021. Also, OCS will recognize Juneteenth on June 18, 2021 as a paid holiday.
OCS FAMILIES, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Please take 1 minute and share with us two things:
- VISION: What words come to mind when you think about your child’s future in OCS?
- MISSION: What words come to mind when you think about what OCS should value so that we can be the best school district for your child?
We need your feedback before March 12. It only takes 1 minute. Here is the link.
MEAL FUNDS FOR FAMILIES
P-EBT is a federal program created in Spring 2020 to provide additional funds for families to buy food while schools were closed due to COVID-19. These funds have been renewed for the 2021 year.
All families need to do is complete the OCS School Lunch Application Form. This MAY qualify families for extra money for food as we continue to navigate the effects of COVID-19. P-EBT cards are like electronic cash, dispersed over a set length of time to purchase food. You cannot “apply” for P-EBT; it must be done by completing the OCS School Lunch Application Form. For more information about P-EBT, who is eligible and how families will receive the benefit, click here.
If you need help with a form, contact the OCS Child Nutrition office at (919) 245–4002.
K-6 FAMILIES — DO YOU NEED BEFORE- OR AFTER-SCHOOL CARE?
If your child is attending school in person and you are in need of before- and/or after-school care, please contact our After-School Program Specialist, Wayne Winstead at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 732–4166 ext: 19010
FUN, FREE Reading Program for all OCS K-8 Students
We are excited to announce that all OCS students in grades K-8 have access to a FREE reading program called BookNook. This engaging reading program is for readers at all levels. If your child doesn’t like to read, struggles to read, or needs to read more, then BookNook is for you! This program is convenient for families as it is delivered via the Internet and students love it because it is set to match their reading levels and they have access to a reading tutor who works with them on a plan to improve their reading.
All you need to do to access this information is go to www.rebrand.ly/ocsreads and take 30 seconds to enter your information and you will receive a confirmation email.
BEFORE YOU COME TO SCHOOL — ASK THESE 5 QUESTIONS!
Each morning, before leaving home, all students and staff should check their temperatures and ask themselves the following questions:
- Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 since you were last at school?
- Have you had any of the following symptoms since you were last at school: fever, chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, new cough, new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you had close contact (been within 6 feet of someone diagnosed with COVID-19 for a cumulative total of 15 minutes over a 24-hour period) in the last 14 days?
- Has any health department or staff or a healthcare provider been in contact with you and advised you to quarantine?
- Have you, or a family member, been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting results?
If you have a temperature of 100.4 or greater AND/OR answer YES to any of the 5 questions, please stay home and contact your child’s school nurse.
WHO TO CONTACT IF YOUR CHILD HAS COVID-19
If your child tests positive for COVID-19:
- and has been at school in-person in 2021, please contact your school nurse immediately.
- and is fully remote and not attended school in-person in 2021, please notify your child’s teacher.